Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Around Dubai

I think the best part of having visitors was taking the time to do things and go places in Dubai that we don't end up doing on a regular basis when we're caught up in everyday life. Since Harry and Linda were our first visitors, we naturally wanted to show them everything. We also planned a couple of day trips and organized tours in order for them to a get more well-rounded view of the region.

Harry, Linda, and Jared in the Bur Dubai Textile Souq (near Bastakia, the old part of town with the old wind tower houses and architecture along with creek).

The Aladdin Shoes stand in the Textile Souq. Quintessential Textile Souq (although, I don't know anyone besides my Mother who has ever wanted or purchased the shoes and/or wears them). Pretty and unique though.

Linda, Harry, and Jared on the Abra before our $0.30 water taxi ride across the creek to Deira. Please disregard the terrible expression on Jared's face. It was the day I was supposed to be paid my February salary and my boss yet again did not have it, so he was stressed, plus he really hates when I make him pose for pictures anywhere that makes it look like he's a tourist. I just thought it was a great shot though, because rarely, if ever are you on an Abra alone and not packed like sardines next to about 30 Indians.

View of one of the Dhow Dinner Cruises in the Dubai Creek while we were on the Abra. We've yet to try one of the dinner cruises. Most look pretty low brow, but I've heard still a fun experience.

Harry and Linda at the Deira Spice Souq. Traditional outdoor spice market which sells saffron, along with every other spice under the sun at dirt cheap prices (although coincidentally does not carry some Indian spices). Linda had a great time bartering and buying spices for friends and family back home (probably one of the best souvenirs if you ask me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment