Saturday, May 29, 2010

Sheikh Zayed Mosque

On Saturday, we decided to take a little road trip to Abu Dhabi, the next Emirate over, and the Capital of the UAE. I had been to Abu Dhabi once before, but had never been to the city proper, so I was excited for another new experience for me. Our first stop was the Sheikh Zayed Mosque (notice a name trend here?), the largest mosque in the UAE and the 8th largest mosque in the world (the superlatives never seem to end here). Absolutely breathtaking and without a doubt the most beautiful mosque I've ever seen. I was a little bit obsessed and got a little carried away with my camera, so bear with me. :)

Detailing in the outside corridor.

Ceiling dome in the outside corridor. The detailing was all so elaborate and beautiful.

Renee & I in our abayas. When we called the mosque for info about touring, they were very unclear about attire, so we just assumed we needed to dress conservatively (ie, wear long pants, long sleeves, and women needed to bring a head scarf to cover our heads). Low and behold when we got there though, they gave all the women abayas and shaylas (headscarves) to wear. Of course, the men were fine in their normal clothes. Some men were even admitted wearing shorts. Well, it was about 100 degrees and I was already wearing jeans and a sweater underneath. So my expression is one of pure annoyance. And the most annoying part was that my headscarf kept sliding back (as I don't know how to properly wear it. Hello Muslims, I'm Catholic! So, I kept getting yelled at once we got into the mosque. grrr.).

View into the Courtyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment